Backbeat brings the story of the emergence of the world’s greatest band, The Beatles, to the London stage.
This musical version of Backbeat, Iain Softley’s 1994 film, follows John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Pete Best and Stuart Sutcliffe as they embark on their journey from Liverpool’s famous docks to search for success in Hamburg’s insalubrious red light district. Performing in the clubs of the Reeperbahn, they would play rock ‘n’ roll cover after rock ‘n’ roll cover every single night. These musical classic – including Twist And Shout, Long Tall Sally and Mr Postman – are included in the stage musical.
At the heart of Backbeat is the triangular relationship between Lennon, his best friend and The Beatles’s original bassist Sutcliffe, and German photographer Astrid Kirchherr, with whom Kirchherr fell in love.
The stage musical version of Backbeat was first seen at the Glasgow Citizens Theatre in 2010. It is directed in London by the award-winning avid Leveaux.
Cast & Creatives
- Oliver Bennett, William Payne, Daniel Healy, Andrew Knott, Nick Blood, Ruta Gedmintas
- David Leveaux
- Book by
- Iain Softley and Stephen Jeffreys
- Karl Sydow
Duke of York's Theatre
- St Martin's Lane, London, United Kingdom, WC2N 4BG
- 0844 871 7677 (Calls cost 7p per min plus your telephone company's network access charge)
- Official site
- Nearest tube
- Leicester Square (approx. 100m)/ Charing Cross/Embankment (approx. 200/400m)
- Nearest bus
- 14, 19, 22, 24, 29, 38, 40, 176
- Nearest train
- Charing Cross (approx. 200m)
50% of parking when you park at Q-Park Chinatown or Q-Park Trafalgar, both only 5 minutes away from the theatre.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens
- How to book
- Tel: 0844 871 7677 (Calls cost 7p per min plus your telephone company's network access charge) Fax: 020 7565 6465 Minicom: 0870 060 6641
- Discounts depend on the current production - please check with the Box Office.
- Limited mobility
- Royal circle is on street level, with 2 steps between rows.
- Access description
- No steps from the street through 2 sets of swing doors into the foyer. Box Office is straight ahead. No steps to row D of Royal Circle, then 2 steps between each row. Staircases have handrails on both sides and all steps are highlighted. 20 steps down to Stalls and 23 up to Upper Circle (2 steps between rows in the Upper Circle).
- Hearing impaired
- Dual channel infra-red system with 12 headsets. This covers the whole auditorium except the front boxes. Headsets available from cloakroom. Portable induction loop at Box Office.
- Guide dogs policy
- Guide dogs are allowed inside the auditorium, or staff can dog-sit if preferred. Maximum of 4 guide dogs per performance. You will be seated in an aisle seat. Provisions vary depending on production and customer requirements – please check when booking.
- 2 spaces for wheelchair users in the third row of the Royal Circle at C23 and C1. Transfer seating at D18 and D1. Wheelchairs stored in the cloakroom in the foyer or in the Royal Circle if there is room. Maximum of 2 wheelchair transferees and 1 scooter per performance.
- Women’s up 2 steps from the foyer. Men’s off Stalls bar and Men’s and Women’s off Circle bar.
- Disabled toilets
- Adapted toilet at the back of the Royal Circle, on the right. The turning space is quite tight.
- 2 licensed bars. Stalls bar down 21 steps from the foyer, moveable seating. Circle bar up 23 steps moveable seating. Ice-cream and soft drinks on sale in cloak room. Beverages can be brought to disabled customers in auditorium – please ask duty manager.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens