Internationally renowned for his visually powerful adaptations of Shakespeare, legendary director Yukio Ninagawa returns to the Barbican with his eagerly-awaited production of Shakespeare’s romance tragedy, Cymbeline.
Full of sexual jealousy, tension, intrigue and magic, the play follows Princess Imogen, who has secretly married the lowly Posthumus for love. When the secret is out, she incurs the wrath of her father King Cymbeline, and becomes the target of the dangerous schemings of her evil stepmother.
Ninagawa’s previous directorial credits at the Barbican include Musashi, Hamlet, Coriolanus and a Kabuki Twelfth Night.
Cymbeline, which is in Japanese with English surtitles, is part of the World Shakespeare Festival, which is produced by the Royal Shakespeare Company for London 2012 Festival.
Age guidance 12+
Cast & Creatives
- Hiroshi Abe, Shinobu Otake
- William Shakespeare
- Yukio Ninagawa
- Ninagawa Company, Barbican in association with Thelma Holt and HoriPro Inc
- Silk Street, London, United Kingdom, EC2Y 8DS
- 020 7638 8891
- Official site
- Nearest tube
- Barbican/Moorgate (250m)
- Nearest bus
- 153 (stops outside theatre) 8,11, 23, 26, 35, 42, 43, 47, 48, 55, 56, 76, 78, 100, 133, 141, 149, 172, 214, 242, 243, 271, 344, 4 (Mon-Sat only), 21, 25, 521 (Mon-Fri only)
Barbican Centre underground car park, with free parking for orange badge holders. Please present your car park ticket and your orange badge to the Duty Manager at the box office. You will be given a sticker entitling you to free parking. Park in Car Park 3 which is entered via Silk Street. Walkway to level -1. Car Park 3 has 3 spaces for disabled customers. Car Parks 4 and 5 are entered via Beech Street and linked by lift E. Look out for directional signs on pillars - the lifts could easily be missed.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens
- How to book
- Access Assistance Tel: 020 7382 7348 Wheelchairs: 020 7638 8891 Minicom: 0207 382 7297 SMS: 020 7256 9577
- Half-price for both disabled customers and their companions when joining the Access Membership Scheme. This can be joined through the website, by calling the Box Office or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Limited mobility
- 153 Front Stalls seats have the best leg room.
- Access description
- The Box Office (where pre paid tickets can be collected 90 minutes prior to performance) can be found in the middle of the Level -1 Stalls Foyer which is one level dowbn from the ground floor. Lifts serve all main foyer areas. The entrance is at the rear of the auditorium, ttherefore there are more steps to negotiate the closer one sits to the stage. Doors open approximately 15min prior to performance. The theatre is situated over four levels. Handrails are provided throughout and there is lift access both within the theatre (suitable for smaller wheelchairs only and on the main foyers with low level controls, tactile buttons and voice announcements (main foyer lifts only). Stalls Level (Level -1): There are 25 steps between the front and rear of the Stalls. Seats with level access are provided in the back row (Row T). Circle (Mezzanine Level): Accessible by stairs or small lift. 27 steps between the back row and side slips. Seats with level access in the back row (Row B). Upper Circle: 20 steps between the back row and side slips. Gallery: 15 steps between the back row and side slips. Occasionally there is a completely different seating configuration - please check with the box office.
- Hearing impaired
- Sennheiser system with 30 headsets available.
- Guide dogs policy
- Can sit in the auditorium or be looked after by staff depending on customer preference. Please phone Box Office to discuss best seating options.
- Gallery & Mezzanine floors only acessible via small lifts. 4 wheelchair spaces or 2 scooter spaces at Stalls level in Box A & B. Further 4 wheelchair spaces or 2 scooter spaces at Upper Circle level at B9-12 and B56-59 – on a platform lift which is lowered by approx. 30cm. Wheelchair and scooter transfer seating available to back row of Stalls. Wheelchair available to loan if booked in advance via the Box Office.
- Men’s and women’s off Level -1.
- Disabled toilets
- 2 Adapted toilets in main foyer on level -1, 2 at Theatre Circle level and one in the ground floor foyer.
- No steps from the lift to the Stalls bar with limited seating. Other bars and cafes accessible via lifts on the Waterside level. Soft drinks and ice creams may be brought into the auditorium, subject to performance.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens