Rowan Atkinson plays the title role in Richard Eyre’s revival of Simon Gray’s Quartermaine’s Terms.
Set in the 1960s in an English language school for foreigners, Gray’s tragicomedy is a humorous but ultimately moving account of several years in the lives of seven teachers.
At the heart of the group is the kind, pleasant and agreeable St John Quartermaine (Atkinson) who is utterly hopeless as a teacher. An almost permanent feature in the staff room, he's always available to listen to the problems of his self-obsessed colleagues. But when a new principal is appointed, Quartermaine’s future looks precarious.
Best known for his on-screen roles in Mr Bean, Not The Nine O’ Clock News, Johnny English, The Witches and Four Weddings And A Funeral, Atkinson most recently appeared on stage as Fagin in the musical Oliver!. Quartermaine’s Terms marks his first appearance in a play for almost 25 years.
Former Artistic Director of the National Theatre, Eyre’s productions include Guys And Dolls, The Beggar’s Opera, Hamlet, Racing Demon, Richard III, King Lear and The Invention Of Love at the venue, A Flea In Her Ear at the Old Vic and The Last Of The Duchess at the Hampstead theatre.
Quartermaine’s Terms is designed by two time Olivier Award-winner Tim Hatley.
Cast & Creatives
- Rowan Atkinson, Conleth Hill, Will Keen, Felicity Montagu, Malcolm Sinclair, Matthew Cottle, Louise Ford
- Simon Gray
- Richard Eyre
- Michael Codron and Theatre Royal Bath Productions
- Lighting Designer
- David Howe
- John Leonard
- Charing Cross Road, London, United Kingdom, WC2H 0DA
- 0844 482 5120
- Official site
- Nearest tube
- Leicester Square (next to theatre)
- Nearest bus
- 24, 29, 176
- Nearest train
- Charing Cross (200m)
50% off parking when you park at Q-Park Chinatown only 150m away.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens
- How to book
- Tel: 0844 482 5137
- Discounts are available for all disabled people and their companions.
- Limited mobility
- Row Q and most aisle seats in the stalls have the most leg room.
- Access description
- One 20cm step up to foyer through heavy double doors opening inwards. Box Office counter on the right. 18 steps down to Stalls. Staircases have handrails on both sides and some steps are highlighted. 12 steps up to the Royal Circle, 21 to the Upper Circle and approx. 43 to the Balcony with 2 steps between rows. Auditorium is carpeted – all other areas are tiled.
- Hearing impaired
- Infra-red system with 20 headsets. ID required. Collect headsets from the Cunard Bar which is a kiosk located at the bottom of the stairs from the foyer to the stalls. Induction loop at Box Office.
- Guide dogs policy
- Guide dogs are allowed into the auditorium and staff are available to dog-sit in the foyer.
- 2 spaces in Box A but no access for electric wheelchairs or scooters. Maximm 2 wheelchair user patrons per performance.
- One toilet in the box although it would not be possible to access this in a wheelchair. The women’s off the Stalls has been slightly adapted. From the foyer bar, the men’s and women’s are up 8 steps with a further 2 steps down inside the entrance to each. 1 step down to non-adapted toilet accessed via St Martin’s Court (level access) – please ask staff to assist.
- Disabled toilets
- None at present. Patrons can use adapted toilets at the Noel Coward theate behind the Wyndham's.
- 3 licensed bars. Stalls bar 20 steps down from the main foyer, or 2 steps up from the Stalls (moveable seats). Further bars at Royal Circle and Balcony levels (no seats). Drinks can be taken to disabled customers.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens