Directed by Terry Johnson, this major West End revival of play-turned-film The Libertine stars Dominic Cooper as the infamous Earl of Rochester, a hedonist notorious for his appetite for excess.
Stephen Jeffreys’ play, last seen on the big screen starring Johnny Depp and John Malkovich, returns to the stage to tell the true story of John Wilmot, the second Earl of Rochester. Possessing emphatic charisma, poetic brilliance and great skill as a playwright, he is ultimately defined by his desire for overindulgence.
But when a chance encounter with an actress at the Playhouse sends him reeling, Wilmot is suddenly forced to re-evaluate his persona, beliefs and lifestyle, questioning all he thinks and feels.
Packed with moments of flair and wit, this is a wild romp through 1670s London which incisively critiques life in an age of excess.
Please note there is an age restriction of 15+ years, as this play contains strong language and scenes of a sexual nature.
Cast & Creatives
- Dominic Cooper, Jasper Britton, Mark Hadfield, Ophelia Lovibond, Alice Bailey Johnson, Will Barton, Cornelius Booth, Will Merrick, Lizzie Roper, Richard Teverson, Nina Toussaint-White, Emily Byrt, Jonathan Hansler, Joseph Macnab, James Marchant, Lydia Piechowiak
- Stephen Jeffreys
- Terry Johnson
- TRH Productions, Lee Dean, Theatre Royal Bath Productions & Ilene Starger
Calendar is for reference only.
Click the Buy Tickets button (top right) or contact the theatre to book.
Haymarket, Theatre Royal
- Haymarket, London, United Kingdom SW1Y 4HT
- 020 7930 8800
- Official site
- Nearest tube
- Piccadilly Circus (150m) Leicester Square (500m)
- Nearest bus
- 3, 6, 9, 12, 13, 14, 15, 19, 22, 23, 24, 29, 38, 40, 88, 91, 94, 139, 159, 176,
50% off parking when you park at Q-Park Trafalgar, only 4 minutes away from the theatre. Meters and 1 disabled parking space in Suffolk Place.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens
- How to book
- Tel: 020 7930 8800
- Discounts available for wheelchair users and their companions.
- Limited mobility
- There is more leg room in boxes A and B (4 steps into each box), or in seats F1, F21, G1 and G18 of the Stalls.
- Access description
- Main entrance up three 15cm steps (staircases have handrails on both sides and are highlighted) through a set of double swing doors. Box Office counter to the right of the entrance. 18 steps down from the foyer to the Stalls, 28 steps up to the Royal Circle, and 60+ steps up to the Upper Circle and Gallery, through a separate entrance to the right of the main entrance. 4 steps in to each box.
- Hearing impaired
- Sennheiser infra-red system with 20 headsets.
- Guide dogs policy
- Guide dogs are not allowed into the auditorium but up to 6 can be looked after in the manager’s office.
- No steps to the auditorium through EXIT doors to the left and righthand side of the main entrance - please tell the Box Office in advance and they will be opened for you. 1 space for a wheelchair user at X18. The venue is suitable for scooters. Transfer seating available to any aisle seat for 1 scooter and 4 wheelchairs. The theatre can store 1 scooter and 4 wheelchairs per performance.
- Women’s and men’s are down 11 steps from the foyer and at Royal Circle and Upper Circle level.
- Disabled toilets
- Adapted toilet at Stalls entrance on street level.
- 1 licensed bar. Drinks in plastic cups can be brought to disabled customers in the auditorium. Stalls bar is 11 steps down from the foyer, Royal Circle bar is 28 steps up from the foyer, and there is another bar at Upper Circle level. No seating.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens