Opening to sweeping critical acclaim at the Chichester Festival Theatre last year, the Young Chekhov trilogy arrives at the National Theatre with Platonov, a free-wheeling comic cry of youthful defiance.
Set in the searing heat of a rural summer, disillusioned schoolteacher Mikhail Platonov finds himself the subject of advances from numerous women.
But already married, and mired deep in contempt for the society that surrounds him, he remains steadfastly opposed to the compromises of middle age.
A new adaptation by David Hare, Platonov forms the first leg of the Young Chekhov trilogy, followed by Ivanov and The Seagull, affording a unique opportunity to explore the birth of a revolutionary dramatic voice. Each play can be seen as a single performance over different days, or as a thrilling all-day theatrical experience; see the show page for more details.
Cast & Creatives
- Emma Amos, Pip Carter, Anna Chancellor, Jonathan Coy, Mark Donald, Peter Egan, Col Farrell, Joshua James, Beverley Klein, Adrian Lukis, Des McAleer, James McArdle, Mark Penfold, Luke Pierre, Nina Sosanya, Geoffrey Streatfeild, Sarah Twomey, David Verrey, Olivia Vinall, Jade Williams
- Anton Chekhov
- Adapted by
- David Hare
- Jonathan Kent
- Music by
- Jonathon Dove
- Chichester Festival Theatre
- Emma Ryott
- Lighting Designer
- Mark Henderson
- Movement Director
- Paul Benzing
- Set Designer
- Tom Pye
- Paul Groothuis
Calendar is for reference only.
Click the Buy Tickets button (top right) or contact the theatre to book.
National Theatre Olivier
- South Bank, London, United Kingdom, SE1 9PX
- 020 7452 3000
- Official site
- Nearest tube
- Waterloo (250m), Southwark
- Nearest bus
- 76, 77, 211, 507, D1, D11, P11 (York Road)149, P11 (Stamford Street)1, 4, 26, 68, X68, 76, 168, 171, 171A, 176, 188, 501, 505, 521 (Waterloo Bridge)
- Nearest train
- Waterloo (approx. 250m)
5 spaces reserved for orange badge holders at riverside end of Cottesloe Ave. 4 extra bays opposite Cottesloe theatre for evening performances. Car Park beneath theatre. Spaces reserved for disabled customers near lifts. Free parking voucher available from box office for orange badge holders (present ticket at information desk). Automatic doors and ramps from the Car Park to the lobby and lift.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens
- How to book
- Tel: 020 7452 3000 Email: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Discounts available for all disabled people.
- Limited mobility
- Please ask to be seated in an aisle seat in the centre Stalls when you book.
- Access description
- Main entrance reached from Upper Ground via Theatre Avenue to Theatre Square and a drop off point approx. 40m from main entrance. Lifts up to the Olivier Theatre to right of information desk (to both Stalls and Circle levels) or staircases further in on each side (49 steps to Stalls, further 44 to Circle). Olivier Box office on level 2. No steps to the back of the Stalls, 10 steps up to raised sections. Centre Stalls auditorium has gradual shallow steps with a handrail on aisles 2 and 4. Lift to row G of Circle and 18 steps down to the front. Power assisted doors and ramps to terraces from Level 2.
- Hearing impaired
- Infra-red system with headsets or neck loops. Collect headsets/loops from box offices. Induction loops at service counters.
- Guide dogs policy
- Guide dogs are not currently allowed in the auditorium, however staff are happy to dog sit. Dogs will be looked after in the cloakroom. Groups should contact the theatre manager’s office on 020 7452 3281.
- Lift to the Olivier Stalls. 3 spaces for wheelchair users in row R. A companion can sit next to the left-hand space in row R, or in the row. Transfer seating is available to aisle seats - wheelchairs stored at back of auditorium.
- Women’s and men’s at Stalls and Circle levels.
- Disabled toilets
- Adapted WC on the left side of the Stalls corridor.
- 6 licensed bars. Access information: No steps to the Olivier Stalls and Circle bars (spacious, moveable seats) from the lifts. Soft drinks may be brought to disabled customers in the auditorium. Chair lift down a flight of steps to the Circle café from level 3 - contact a member of staff for assistance. The menu is available in large print.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens