George Orwell’s classic tale of government surveillance and censorship returns to the Playhouse Theatre following its acclaimed international tour in Robert Icke and Duncan Macmillan’s hugely successful adaptation.
Set in the year of its title and inspired by the appendix of the novel, this stage version of 1984 charts the story of Winston Smith, an employee of the Ministry of Truth who spends his working days rewriting newspaper articles to make history support the views of the Party.
Exploring a dystopian future where individualism and independent thought are outlawed, the show follows Winston as he begins writing a diary and falls in love under the watchful eye of Big Brother.
After receiving its world premiere at the Nottingham Playhouse in September 2013, the Headlong, Almeida and Nottingham Playhouse co-production made its London debut at the Almeida Theatre in February 2014. That spring the show received an Olivier Award nomination for Best New Play and later transferred to London’s Playhouse Theatre, before embarking on its plaudit-winning tour.
Now, one of theatre’s most powerful - and startlingly pertinent - events returns to London for a limited season, and is surely not to be missed.
Cast & Creatives
- Catrin Stewart, Andrew Gower, Angus Wright, Joshua Higgott, Anthony O'Donnell, Richard Katz, Daniel Rabin, Rosie Ede
- George Orwell
- Robert Icke & Duncan Macmillan
- Sonia Friedman Productions, Eleanor Lloyd Productions, Headlong, Nottingham Playhouse & Almeida Theatre
- Lighting Designer
- Natasha Chivers
- Tom Gibbons
Calendar is for reference only.
Click the Buy Tickets button (top right) or contact the theatre to book.
- Northumberland Avenue, London, United Kingdom WC2N 5DE
- 0844 871 7631 (Calls cost 7p per min plus your telephone company's network access charge)
- Official site
- Nearest tube
- Charing Cross(250m) Embankment (100m)
- Nearest bus
- 3, 6, 9, 12, 13, 15, 23, 24, 29, 53, 77A, 88, 91, 139, 159, 176, 453
- Nearest train
- Charing Cross (250m)
50% off parking when you park at Q-Park Trafalgar, only 5 minutes walk away, or Q-Park Chinatown. Single and double yellow lines in Northumberland Avenue. Taxi rank on the Embankment and at Charing Cross Station.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens
- How to book
- Tel: 0844 871 7677 (Calls cost 7p per min plus your telephone company's network access charge) Fax: 020 8544 7485 Minicom: 0870 060 6641 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Discounts depend on the current production - please check with the Box Office.
- Limited mobility
- There is good leg room in the Stalls and the Boxes.
- Access description
- Level access through double doors opening outwards from the pavement. Box Office on the left, then 3 shallow steps up to foyer. No further steps into Stalls seating. 28 steps up to Dress Circle and 82 steps up to Upper Circle. Staircases have highlights and hand rails. Hard flooring in foyer for wheelchairs. Theatre opens 30min before performance.
- Hearing impaired
- Induction loop system at Box Office. Infra-red system in auditorium. 11 headsets and 3 loops.
- Guide dogs policy
- Guide dogs are allowed inside the auditorium. Staff also available to dog-sit in foyer or Box Office.
- Contact the Box Office in advance so that the ramp (steep) can be placed over the 3 shallow steps inside the main entrance. No steps to the Stalls, which are on a shallow rake. 2 spaces for wheelchair users at G1 and G24. Companions can sit in same row. Scooter users can access the foyer and stalls, but must transfer. Transfer seating available to any Stalls aisle seat. Each wheelchair user must bring a non-disabled companion.
- Toilets off the restaurant bar, the Royal Circle and the Upper Circle.
- Disabled toilets
- Adapted toilet in foyer to the right of the Stalls entrance.
- Toilets off the stalls bar, the Dress Circle and the Upper Circle. No steps from Stalls to foyer bar (no seating). Stalls bar (moveable seats, tables) down 29 steps from foyer. Further bars at the back of the Royal Circle (bar stools) and at the Upper Circle (bar stools). Refreshments can be brought to customers in the auditorium - please book in advance.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens