Ken Stott and Reece Shearsmith star in this revival of Ronald Harwood’s hilarious and heart-wrenching tale of an ageing actor-manager and his long-suffering, dedicated dresser.
Set against the backdrop of a down-at-heel regional theatre in the midst of wartime, beloved drama The Dresser follows the duo’s struggles to keep the show on the road – and their lives together – while the toils of age take their toll.
Directed by Sean Foley, who recently enjoyed great success with his adaptation and direction of The Painkiller in the Kenneth Branagh Theatre Company, the drama is renowned as a modern classic having been first performed in the West End in 1980.
It was then adapted into the multi award-winning 1983 film starring Albert Finney, before once again being reimagined as the recent television adaptation starring Ian McKellen and Anthony Hopkins.
The Dresser sees the much anticipated return of both Stott and Shearsmith to the London stage, subsequent to their recent high profile screen credits, and promises to be an unmissable production of a theatrical classic.
Cast & Creatives
- Ken Stott, Reece Shearsmith, Selina Cadell, Harriet Thorpe
- Ronald Harwood
- Mark Goucher, Mark Rubinstein Ltd and Jonathan Church Productions
Calendar is for reference only.
Click the Buy Tickets button (top right) or contact the theatre to book.
Duke of York's Theatre
- St Martin's Lane, London, United Kingdom, WC2N 4BG
- 0844 871 7677 (Calls cost 7p per min plus your telephone company's network access charge)
- Official site
- Nearest tube
- Leicester Square (approx. 100m)/ Charing Cross/Embankment (approx. 200/400m)
- Nearest bus
- 14, 19, 22, 24, 29, 38, 40, 176
- Nearest train
- Charing Cross (approx. 200m)
50% of parking when you park at Q-Park Chinatown or Q-Park Trafalgar, both only 5 minutes away from the theatre.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens
- How to book
- Tel: 0844 871 7677 (Calls cost 7p per min plus your telephone company's network access charge) Fax: 020 7565 6465 Minicom: 0870 060 6641
- Discounts depend on the current production - please check with the Box Office.
- Limited mobility
- Royal circle is on street level, with 2 steps between rows.
- Access description
- No steps from the street through 2 sets of swing doors into the foyer. Box Office is straight ahead. No steps to row D of Royal Circle, then 2 steps between each row. Staircases have handrails on both sides and all steps are highlighted. 20 steps down to Stalls and 23 up to Upper Circle (2 steps between rows in the Upper Circle).
- Hearing impaired
- Dual channel infra-red system with 12 headsets. This covers the whole auditorium except the front boxes. Headsets available from cloakroom. Portable induction loop at Box Office.
- Guide dogs policy
- Guide dogs are allowed inside the auditorium, or staff can dog-sit if preferred. Maximum of 4 guide dogs per performance. You will be seated in an aisle seat. Provisions vary depending on production and customer requirements - please check when booking.
- 2 spaces for wheelchair users in the third row of the Royal Circle at C23 and C1. Transfer seating at D18 and D1. Wheelchairs stored in the cloakroom in the foyer or in the Royal Circle if there is room. Maximum of 2 wheelchair transferees and 1 scooter per performance.
- Women’s up 2 steps from the foyer. Men’s off Stalls bar and Men’s and Women’s off Circle bar.
- Disabled toilets
- Adapted toilet at the back of the Royal Circle, on the right. The turning space is quite tight.
- 2 licensed bars. Stalls bar down 21 steps from the foyer, moveable seating. Circle bar up 23 steps moveable seating. Ice-cream and soft drinks on sale in cloak room. Beverages can be brought to disabled customers in auditorium - please ask duty manager.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens