JB Priestley’s An Inspector Calls makes an eagerly anticipated return to the West End this winter as Stephen Daldry’s multi award-winning National Theatre production arrives at the Playhouse Theatre.
A recipient of four Tony Awards and three Olivier awards since its inception in 1992, Daldry’s production of An Inspector Calls has received multitudinous acclaim from critics and audiences alike over the course of its performances, with this production marking the 70th anniversary of the first UK staging of the play, and the 25th anniversary of its first appearance at the National Theatre.
A compelling, haunting thriller, Inspector Goole calls unexpectedly on the wealthy Birling family home, only for their peaceful family dinner party to be shattered by his investigation into the death of a young woman.
Featuring Ian MacNeil’s innovative and ground-breaking design, music by Academy Award-winning composer Stephen Warbeck and light by Rick Fisher, this is a landmark and pertinent production of Priestley’s colossally powerful deconstruction of the cruelty, complacency and hypocrisy of capitalism.
Cast & Creatives
- Liam Brennan, Barbara Marten, Clive Francis, Matthew Douglas, Carmela Corbett, Hamish Riddle, Diana Payne-Myers, Geoffrey Towers, Benedict Salter, Beth Tuckey
- JB Priestley
- Stephen Daldry
- Music by
- Stephen Warbeck
- PW Productions
- Lighting Designer
- Rick Fisher
- Northumberland Avenue, London, United Kingdom WC2N 5DE
- 0844 871 7631 (Calls cost 7p per min plus your telephone company's network access charge)
- Official site
- Nearest tube
- Charing Cross(250m) Embankment (100m)
- Nearest bus
- 3, 6, 9, 12, 13, 15, 23, 24, 29, 53, 77A, 88, 91, 139, 159, 176, 453
- Nearest train
- Charing Cross (250m)
50% off parking when you park at Q-Park Trafalgar, only 5 minutes walk away, or Q-Park Chinatown. Single and double yellow lines in Northumberland Avenue. Taxi rank on the Embankment and at Charing Cross Station.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens
- How to book
- Tel: 0844 871 7677 (Calls cost 7p per min plus your telephone company's network access charge) Fax: 020 8544 7485 Minicom: 0870 060 6641 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Discounts depend on the current production - please check with the Box Office.
- Limited mobility
- There is good leg room in the Stalls and the Boxes.
- Access description
- Level access through double doors opening outwards from the pavement. Box Office on the left, then 3 shallow steps up to foyer. No further steps into Stalls seating. 28 steps up to Dress Circle and 82 steps up to Upper Circle. Staircases have highlights and hand rails. Hard flooring in foyer for wheelchairs. Theatre opens 30min before performance.
- Hearing impaired
- Induction loop system at Box Office. Infra-red system in auditorium. 11 headsets and 3 loops.
- Guide dogs policy
- Guide dogs are allowed inside the auditorium. Staff also available to dog-sit in foyer or Box Office.
- Contact the Box Office in advance so that the ramp (steep) can be placed over the 3 shallow steps inside the main entrance. No steps to the Stalls, which are on a shallow rake. 2 spaces for wheelchair users at G1 and G24. Companions can sit in same row. Scooter users can access the foyer and stalls, but must transfer. Transfer seating available to any Stalls aisle seat. Each wheelchair user must bring a non-disabled companion.
- Toilets off the restaurant bar, the Royal Circle and the Upper Circle.
- Disabled toilets
- Adapted toilet in foyer to the right of the Stalls entrance.
- Toilets off the stalls bar, the Dress Circle and the Upper Circle. No steps from Stalls to foyer bar (no seating). Stalls bar (moveable seats, tables) down 29 steps from foyer. Further bars at the back of the Royal Circle (bar stools) and at the Upper Circle (bar stools). Refreshments can be brought to customers in the auditorium - please book in advance.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens