Il Trovatore marks the first revival of David Bösch’s new production for The Royal Opera, with two casts including Maria Agresta, Lianna Haroutounian, Anita Rachvelishvili and Dmitri Hvorostovsky.
In this classic tale of suspicion, illicit love and retribution, Il Trovatore sees the Count di Luna fall in love with Leonora, but she loves Manrico, the Count’s military enemy.
Spinning events in the background is Manrico’s mother, Azucena, seeking vengeance for the persecution of her own mother for witchcraft. Tragedy ensues as figures of power become blinded by revenge.
This opera’s themes of jealousy, revenge and love play out against a hauntingly beautiful, wintry landscape that has been riven by war.
Sung in Italian with English surtitles.
Please see the show website for casting details.
Cast & Creatives
- The Royal Opera
- David Bösch
- Music by
- Giuseppe Verdi
- Book by
- Salvadore Cammarano
- Meentje Nielsen
- Lighting Designer
- Olaf Winter
- Set Designer
- Patrick Bannwart
Royal Opera House
- Covent Garden, London, United Kingdom WC2E 9DD
- 020 7304 4000
- Official site
- Nearest tube
- Covent Garden (120m) Leicester Square (approx. 500m)
- Nearest bus
- 1, 4, 6, 9, 11, 13, 15, 23, 26, 68, 76, 77a, 91, 168, 171, 176, 188, 501(southbound only), 505, 521, X68 all go to the Aldwych.
50% off parking at Q-Park Chinatown, only 6 minutes walk away. 4 spaces for blue badge holders on Floral Street and 3 on Bow Street. Taxi lay-by outside theatre on Bow Street or taxi rank at Covent Garden Piazza end of Russell Street.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens
- How to book
- Tel: 020 7304 4000 Fax: 020 7212 9460 Minicom: 020 7212 9228 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Half price tickets available for all disabled theatregoers and their companions provided you are on the access list - to join please call the above numbers.
- Limited mobility
- Aisle seats and boxes have the best leg room.
- Access description
- Fixed ramps at Bow Street (push button to open doors) and Piazza entrances. Box Office and Information point (with lowered service counters) to right of Bow Street entrance. 5 lifts (Braille buttons and voice announcements) to all levels, beyond the Box Office and cloakroom. There are 27 steps down to the Linbury Studio reachable via a slight ramp. In main auditorium, 15 steps up from ground level to the Stalls Circle. Then 15 steps up to Grand Tier, 21 to Balcony, further 15 to Lower Slips, 30 to Amphitheatre and 56 to Upper Amphitheatre. 1 step between each row in Stalls Circle and Grand Tier and Balcony, 3 in Amphitheatre (fairly steep). All staircases have handrails and some steps are highlighted. Escalator from Floral Hall to Amphitheatre.
- Hearing impaired
- Infrared system with 20 headsets. Collect headsets from FOH Duty Manager’s Desk in main foyer. Surtitles for all opera productions.
- Guide dogs policy
- Guide dogs allowed into auditorium and staff available to dog-sit if required.
- Spaces for wheelchair users at Stalls Circle (6 spaces), Grand Tier (4 spaces), Balcony (6 spaces), Upper Amphitheatre (3 spaces). Express lift too small for motorised wheelchairs/scooters, but other lifts are fine. Wheelchair and scooter transfer seating available, wheelchairs/scooters stored in cloakroom.
- Men’s and women’s at Stalls Circle and Amphitheatre levels and in Vilar Floral Hall.
- Disabled toilets
- Adapted toilets by lifts at all levels. Non-adapted toilets have some cubicles with wider doors and hand rails (marked on door).
- Lift to Amphitheatre bar and restaurant, and Floral Hall and Terrace cafes (low counters, moveable seats and tables).
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens