Critically acclaimed drama The Kite Runner soars again in the West End, as the powerful story of a friendship spanning cultures and continents transfers to the Playhouse Theatre.
Based on Khaled Hosseini’s international best-selling novel, this powerful story has been adapted into a stunning new stage production. A haunting tale of friendship which spans cultures and continents, it follows one man’s journey to confront his past and find redemption.
In a divided country on the verge of war, a beautiful afternoon in Kabul sees the thrill and childlike joy of a kite flying tournament. Little do two childhood friends, Hassan or Amir, know, but they are about to be ripped from their homes and have their friendship torn apart, in a terrible incident which shatters their lives forever.
Set in in Afghanistan and following the story of a young boy in the tumultuous times of the Soviet invasion, the exodus of refugees and the subsequent the rise of the Taliban regime, this is a poignant and pertinent story.
The Kite Runner has been published in 70 countries, selling 31.5 million copies in 60 languages, and was adapted into an acclaimed 2007 film.
Cast & Creatives
- Andrei Costin, David Ahmad, Emilio Doorgasingh, Lisa Zahra, Ezra Khan, Bhavin Bhatt, Hanif Khan, Ravi Aujla, Umar Paha, Jay Sajjid, Karl Seth
- Khaled Hosseini
- Adapted by
- Matthew Spangler
- Giles Croft
- Music by
- Hanif Khan
- Martin Dodd for UK Productions and Derek Nicol & Paul Walden for Flying Entertainment
Calendar is for reference only.
Click the Buy Tickets button (top right) or contact the theatre to book.
- Northumberland Avenue, London, United Kingdom WC2N 5DE
- 0844 871 7631 (Calls cost 7p per min plus your telephone company's network access charge)
- Official site
- Nearest tube
- Charing Cross(250m) Embankment (100m)
- Nearest bus
- 3, 6, 9, 12, 13, 15, 23, 24, 29, 53, 77A, 88, 91, 139, 159, 176, 453
- Nearest train
- Charing Cross (250m)
50% off parking when you park at Q-Park Trafalgar, only 5 minutes walk away, or Q-Park Chinatown. Single and double yellow lines in Northumberland Avenue. Taxi rank on the Embankment and at Charing Cross Station.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens
- How to book
- Tel: 0844 871 7677 (Calls cost 7p per min plus your telephone company's network access charge) Fax: 020 8544 7485 Minicom: 0870 060 6641 Email: email@example.com
- Discounts depend on the current production - please check with the Box Office.
- Limited mobility
- There is good leg room in the Stalls and the Boxes.
- Access description
- Level access through double doors opening outwards from the pavement. Box Office on the left, then 3 shallow steps up to foyer. No further steps into Stalls seating. 28 steps up to Dress Circle and 82 steps up to Upper Circle. Staircases have highlights and hand rails. Hard flooring in foyer for wheelchairs. Theatre opens 30min before performance.
- Hearing impaired
- Induction loop system at Box Office. Infra-red system in auditorium. 11 headsets and 3 loops.
- Guide dogs policy
- Guide dogs are allowed inside the auditorium. Staff also available to dog-sit in foyer or Box Office.
- Contact the Box Office in advance so that the ramp (steep) can be placed over the 3 shallow steps inside the main entrance. No steps to the Stalls, which are on a shallow rake. 2 spaces for wheelchair users at G1 and G24. Companions can sit in same row. Scooter users can access the foyer and stalls, but must transfer. Transfer seating available to any Stalls aisle seat. Each wheelchair user must bring a non-disabled companion.
- Toilets off the restaurant bar, the Royal Circle and the Upper Circle.
- Disabled toilets
- Adapted toilet in foyer to the right of the Stalls entrance.
- Toilets off the stalls bar, the Dress Circle and the Upper Circle. No steps from Stalls to foyer bar (no seating). Stalls bar (moveable seats, tables) down 29 steps from foyer. Further bars at the back of the Royal Circle (bar stools) and at the Upper Circle (bar stools). Refreshments can be brought to customers in the auditorium - please book in advance.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens