Matthew Warchus directs Rhys Ifans as Ebenezer Scrooge in this joyous new adaptation of A Christmas Carol, penned by Harry Potter And The Cursed Child playwright Jack Thorne.
The Charles Dickens classic will be vividly brought back to the stage in a warm production full of merry music and festive cheer, recommended for families aged 11+.
Transporting audiences to a bitterly chilly Christmas Eve night, a hard-hearted miser is visited by four ghosts, who take him on a journey to worlds past, present and future.
But will Scrooge save himself from the results of a lifetime of fear and selfishness, now he can see the ramifications of his lonely existence?
Artistic Director Warchus' extensive theatre credits include the Olivier Award-winning Groundhog Day musical, seven-time Olivier-winning Matilda The Musical, and Tony Award-winning God Of Carnage.
Olivier Award winner John Dagleish (Sunny Afternoon, West End) plays Bob Cratchit, a victim of Scrooge's niggardly nature, while Alex Gaumond (Sweeney Todd, ENO) is Father / Marley.
Cast & Creatives
- Rhys Ifans, John Dagleish, Alex Gaumond, Melissa Allan, Jamie Cameron, Erin Doherty, Oliver Evans, Tim van Eyken, Siena Kelly, Eugene McCoy, Myra McFadyen, Maria Omakinwa, Alastair Parker, Golda Roshuevel, Toby Eden, Grace Fincham, Ethan Quinn, Lenny Rush
- Charles Dickens
- Adapted by
- Jack Thorne
- Matthew Warchus
- Music by
- Chris Nightingale
- Lighting Designer
- Hugh Vanstone
- Movement Director
- Lizzi Gee
- Simon Baker
Calendar is for reference only.
Click the Buy Tickets button (top right) or contact the theatre to book.
The Old Vic
- The Cut, London, United Kingdom, SE1 8NB
- 0844 871 7628 (Calls cost 7p per min plus your telephone company's network access charge)
- Official site
- Nearest tube
- Waterloo (200m)
- Nearest bus
- 1, 68, 168, 171, 172, 176, 188, 501
- Nearest train
- Waterloo (200m) Take Exit 2 and turn right.
1 bay for blue badge holders in Webber Street, plus meters. NCP in Coin Street. Nearest taxi pick-up point is at Waterloo station.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens
- How to book
- Tel: 0844 871 7628 (Calls cost 5p per min plus your telephone company's network access charge) Fax: 020 7928 4397 Minicom: 0870 060 6641 Online booking form available via www.oldvictheatre.com/access Email: email@example.com
- Discounts vary with each production.
- Limited mobility
- Boxes or E28, F20, G6, G31, M4, X7 in the Stalls have the most leg room.
- Access description
- There is a ramp from street level into the foyer and the box office is on your right. Handrails are available on either side of the entrance. From the foyer there are seven steps into the Stalls (without handrails). There are 20+ steps to the Dress Circle and a further 20 steps to the Baylis Circle (with handrails). The theatre is open 1 hour before the performance.
- Hearing impaired
- Sennheiser infra-red system. A unit is required to be collected from the cloakroom for a £5 deposit (which will be refunded on return of the unit). 30+ units available, including in-ear types and loop units to be used with the T-setting/switch on hearing aids. Some seats are unsuitable for use with the units, please inform the box office at the time of booking if one is likely to be needed. Induction loop is available at the walk-up box office.
- Guide dogs policy
- Guide dogs are allowed into the auditorium. Alternatively, staff can dog-sit. Pleae inform Box Office at time of booking.
- There is a ramp from street level into the foyer. One wheelchair position in Stalls seat N5, a companion can sit in N6. In the case of a transfer, the wheelchair will be stored in the adapted toilet which is next to the access door and close to the wheelchair position. Please discuss any access needs with the box office at the time of booking.
- There are men’s and women’s off the Pit bar, and 21 steps up from the Lilian Baylis bar.
- Disabled toilets
- Adapted WC on the left inside the side entrance.
- Pit bar down 19 steps from foyer (spacious), Dress Circle bar up 20+ steps, Lilian Baylis bar up 49 steps. Soft drinks brought to disabled customers in the auditorium. All have moveable seats.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens