Olivier Award-winning trio Toby Jones, Stephen Mangan and Zoë Wanamaker star in this major West End revival of Harold Pinter’s The Birthday Party, 60 years since it was first performed.
Stanley Webber (Toby Jones) is the only lodger at Meg (Zoë Wanamaker) and Petey Boles’ sleepy seaside boarding house. The unsettling arrival of enigmatic strangers Goldberg (Stephen Mangan) and McCann disrupts the humdrum lives of the inhabitants and their friend Lulu (Pearl Mackie), and mundanity soon becomes menace when a seemingly innocent birthday party turns into a disturbing nightmare.
Truth and alliances hastily shift in Pinter's brilliantly mysterious dark-comic masterpiece about the absurd terrors of the everyday.
Following critically-acclaimed productions of Betrayal, and Old Times, Ian Rickson returns to direct a new production of Harold Pinter’s landmark play The Birthday Party.
A cast featuring a trio of Olivier Award winners, Golden Globe Award-nominated Toby Jones (The Play What I Wrote, Every Good Boy Deserves Favour, Sherlock), Tony Award-nominated Stephen Mangan (The Norman Conquests, Jeeves And Wooster, Episodes) and Tony Award-nominated Zoë Wanamaker CBE (Harlequinade, Passion Play, My Family), alongside recent Doctor Who companion Pearl Mackie, star in this comedy of menace.
The Birthday Party opens in January 2018 for a strictly limited 14 week season. Further casting to be announced.
Cast & Creatives
- Toby Stephens, Zoë Wanamaker, Stephen Mangan, Pearl Mackie
- Harold Pinter
- Ian Rickson
- Music by
- Stephen Warbeck
- Sonia Friedman Productions
- Lighting Designer
- Hugh Vanstone
- Simon Baker
Calendar is for reference only.
Click the Buy Tickets button (top right) or contact the theatre to book.
Harold Pinter Theatre
- Panton Street, London, United Kingdom SW1Y 4DN
- 0844 871 7622 (Calls cost 7p per min plus your telephone company's network access charge)
- Official site
- Nearest tube
- Piccadilly Circus (225m)
- Nearest bus
- 3, 6, 9, 12, 14, 15, 19, 22, 23, 24, 29, 38, 88, 91, 94, 139, 159, 176, 453
50% off parking at Q-Park Trafalgar, just 6 minutes from the theatre.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens
- How to book
- Tel: 0844 871 7677 Fax: 020 8544 7488
- Discounts vary according to production. Concessions may be available (Please enquire at time of booking).
- Limited mobility
- Row A and seats N1, N21, L1, L21, D1, D22 in the stalls and Boxes C & D have the most leg room.
- Access description
- Level access from street to Dress circle via ramp at the entrance and level platform to seats.2 steps up to double doors opening into the foyer. All stairs are highlighted and have handrails on both sides. No steps from the foyer to the back of the Dress Circle (2 steps between rows). 24 steps down from the foyer to the Stalls, 23 steps up from the foyer to the Royal Circle (with 2 steep steps between rows) and 50 steps up to the Balcony.
- Hearing impaired
- Infra-red system with 6 headsets. Headsets available from the Duty Manager. You will be asked to leave a credit card or a £10 deposit. Portable loop available in Box Office.
- Guide dogs policy
- Guide dogs and hearing dogs are welcome at the Comedy Theatre. They can stay with you during the performances, however, you must inform the Box Office when booking your tickets and a seat on the aisle can be reserved for you. Alternatively, a member of staff will care for your dog during the performance.
- 4 wheelchair spaces in Dress Circle. 2 transfer seats in E5 and E17
- There is no adapted toilet. It may be possible to use the toilet on the left-hand side of the auditorium, down 6 steps via a ramp and through 2 doorways, approx. 64cm wide. Women’s and men’s at Stalls, Royal Circle and Balcony. Please note, the men's toilet on the Royal Circle level is only accessible via 13 steps up from the Royal Circle Bar.
- Disabled toilets
- No adapted toilet.
- 3 licensed bars. No steps from the back of the Dress Circle to the foyer bar (no seating). Drinks brought to disabled customers in the auditorium. More bars at the rear of the Stalls, at Royal Circle and at Balcony.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens