Actor and comedian Lenny Henry stars in Shakespeare’s comedy of identical twins and identity confusion, The Comedy Of Errors.
What are the chances? Two sets of twins, who were separated at birth find themselves in the same city for one crazy day. While they don’t meet each other, everyone who meets them is thoroughly confused, leading to all manner of bizarre and infuriating mistakes. More confused than anyone are Antipholus and Dromio of Syracuse who, outsiders in a new metropolis, find themselves both treated to baffling gift and treated with extreme hostility. Meanwhile Aegeon, father of the Antipholus twins, who was searching for his sons, has been captured as an illegal immigrant and sentenced to death at sunset.
This new production of The Comedy Of Errors, directed by the Royal Court’s Artistic Director Dominic Cooke, places the action in a contemporary setting.
Lenny Henry, who leads the cast of The Comedy Of Errors is best known as a comedian, though after a long career making people laugh, he made his Shakespearean debut in the title role of the Northern Broadside’s production of Othello which played in London in 2009.
Cast & Creatives
- Lenny Henry, Chris Jarman, Lucian Msamati, Joseph Mydell, Pamela Nomvete, Daniel Poyser, Amit Shah, Michelle Terry
- William Shakespeare
- Dominic Cooke
- Music by
- Gary Yershon
- Lighting Designer
- Paule Constable
- Movement Director
- Ann Yee
- Christopher Shutt
National Theatre Olivier
- South Bank, London, United Kingdom, SE1 9PX
- 020 7452 3000
- Official site
- Nearest tube
- Waterloo (250m), Southwark
- Nearest bus
- 76, 77, 211, 507, D1, D11, P11 (York Road)149, P11 (Stamford Street)1, 4, 26, 68, X68, 76, 168, 171, 171A, 176, 188, 501, 505, 521 (Waterloo Bridge)
- Nearest train
- Waterloo (approx. 250m)
5 spaces reserved for orange badge holders at riverside end of Cottesloe Ave. 4 extra bays opposite Cottesloe theatre for evening performances. Car Park beneath theatre. Spaces reserved for disabled customers near lifts. Free parking voucher available from box office for orange badge holders (present ticket at information desk). Automatic doors and ramps from the Car Park to the lobby and lift.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens
- How to book
- Tel: 020 7452 3000 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
- Discounts available for all disabled people.
- Limited mobility
- Please ask to be seated in an aisle seat in the centre Stalls when you book.
- Access description
- Main entrance reached from Upper Ground via Theatre Avenue to Theatre Square and a drop off point approx. 40m from main entrance. Lifts up to the Olivier Theatre to right of information desk (to both Stalls and Circle levels) or staircases further in on each side (49 steps to Stalls, further 44 to Circle). Olivier Box office on level 2. No steps to the back of the Stalls, 10 steps up to raised sections. Centre Stalls auditorium has gradual shallow steps with a handrail on aisles 2 and 4. Lift to row G of Circle and 18 steps down to the front. Power assisted doors and ramps to terraces from Level 2.
- Hearing impaired
- Infra-red system with headsets or neck loops. Collect headsets/loops from box offices. Induction loops at service counters.
- Guide dogs policy
- Guide dogs are not currently allowed in the auditorium, however staff are happy to dog sit. Dogs will be looked after in the cloakroom. Groups should contact the theatre manager’s office on 020 7452 3281.
- Lift to the Olivier Stalls. 3 spaces for wheelchair users in row R. A companion can sit next to the left-hand space in row R, or in the row. Transfer seating is available to aisle seats - wheelchairs stored at back of auditorium.
- Women’s and men’s at Stalls and Circle levels.
- Disabled toilets
- Adapted WC on the left side of the Stalls corridor.
- 6 licensed bars. Access information: No steps to the Olivier Stalls and Circle bars (spacious, moveable seats) from the lifts. Soft drinks may be brought to disabled customers in the auditorium. Chair lift down a flight of steps to the Circle café from level 3 - contact a member of staff for assistance. The menu is available in large print.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens