Note for families! This show is taking part in Kids Week, the annual promotion that allows kids to go free to London shows during August, when accompanied by a full-paying adult.
The Tony Award nominated hit Motown The Musical brings its tale of Motown founder Berry Gordy and the acts he discovered to the Shaftesbury Theatre.
The Broadway hit charts the story of how Gordy, with just $800 borrowed from his family, goes from featherweight boxer to heavyweight music mogul, discovering and launching the careers of artists including Diana Ross, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson and Marvin Gaye.
Uncovering the true story of the legendary record label that changed music history and created the soundtrack of a generation, Motown The Musical features a score of 50 Motown tracks including Ain’t No Mountain High Enough, I’ll Be There, Dancing In The Street, Stop! In The Name Of Love, My Girl, I Heard It Through The Grapevine and For Once In My Life.
The musical received its world premiere at New York’s Lunt-Fontanne Theatre in April 2013 and was followed by a US national tour that opened to critical acclaim in Chicago in spring 2014.
The production is directed by Charles Randolph-Wright with a book by Gordy.
Please note that, from 4 September 2017, David Albury and Kayi Ushe will join the cast as Smokey Robinson and as Marvin Gaye respectively.
Cast & Creatives
- Cedric Neal, Lucy St. Louis, Obioma Ugoala, Sifiso Mazibuko, Cameron Bernard Jones, Ryan Carter, KM Drew Boateng, Samuel Edwards, Dujonna Gift-Simms, Vanessa Fisher, Terique Jarrett, Cleopatra Joseph, Wilson Kiiru, Natasha Leaver, Brandon Lee Sears, Kieran McGinn, Simone Mistry-Palmer, Samuel Nicholas, Brianna Ogunbawo, Matt Overfield, Jay Perry, Timothy Quinlan, Simon Ray Harvey, Sharon Rose, Lawrence Rowe, Ashley Samuels, Carl Spencer, Richard Taylor Woods, Alex Thomas-Smith, Cherelle Williams, Michael Woolston-Thomas, Jayme-Lee Zanoncelli
- Charles Randolph-Wright
- Kevin McCollum, Doug Morris, Berry Gordy & Adam Spiegel
- Patricia Wilcox & Warren Adams
- Lighting Designer
- Natasha Katz
- Set Designer
- David Korins
- Peter Hylenski
Calendar is for reference only.
Click the Buy Tickets button (top right) or contact the theatre to book.
- 210 Shaftesbury Avenue, London, United Kingdom, WC2H 8DP
- 020 7379 5399
- Nearest tube
- Holborn/Tottenham Court Road/Covent Garden Approx. 400m
- Nearest bus
- 8, 10, 14, 19, 22A, 22B, 24, 25, 29, 38, 40, 55, 73, 134, 176
50% off parking when you park at Q-Park Chinatown or Q-Park Soho.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens
- How to book
- Tel: 020 7379 5399 Fax: 020 7836 0466 Email: email@example.com
- Concessions vary according to the current production.
- Limited mobility
- Good legroom is available in row M of the Stalls - these seats are not suitable for ambulant disabled as these are down 22 steps. Low numbered Royal Circle seats have less steps.
- Access description
- The entrance to the theatre is made up of three sets of double, glass panelled doors with no step. The doors open towards you and there is a handle on each door. The Box Office isahead of you on the right hand side. The main entrance to the Stalls is through the first door on the right and straight down the stairs to the auditorium.
- Hearing impaired
- Infra-red system with 20 headsets and 15 neckloops. Collect from foyer sweet kiosk.
- Guide dogs policy
- Guide dogs allowed in the auditorium, or theatre staff can look after them.
- Spaces for 4 wheelchairs in Boxes A and B (entrance approx. 73cm) which are down 3 steps off a corridor to the left of the box office. You will need help negotiating the steps. Transfer seating available to row A4 - 10 in the Royal Circle, the entrance to which is level from the foyer.
- Women’s up 4 steps from the foyer and a men’s beyond this, 2 steps down off the Circle bar. Further toilets at back of Stalls and Grand Circle levels.
- Disabled toilets
- Adapted toilet adjacent to the Royal Circle and acessed through the door next to the Box Office, taking the first right followed by a sharp left.
- 5 licensed bars. Access information: Drinks may be taken into the auditorium. The Foyer bar is 4 steps up from the foyer. There are 2 bars at Royal Circle, one at Grand Circle and one at Stalls. There is limited seating.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens