In a series of three short plays performed together at the Jerwood Theatre Upstairs, Father Comes Home From The Wars (Parts 1, 2 & 3) sees a Texas slave join the ranks of the Confederacy during the American Civil War to earn his freedom.
In West Texas, 1862, Hero, a slave, is promised the opportunity to win his freedom should he join up alongside his master in the ranks of the Confederacy. Against his own beliefs, and in a nation at war with itself, he must fight against those striving to abolish slavery to attain freedom.
Meanwhile, the family he leaves behind have their faith in Hero put to the test as they debate whether to escape or await his return. To them, freedom merely seems like nothing more than an empty promise – and one that may come at grave cost.
Suzan-Lori Parks returns to the Royal Court with Father Comes Home From The Wars (Parts 1, 2 & 3), directed by Jo Bonney, in this emotional series of short plays.
Age Guidance: 14+
Cast & Creatives
- Jimmy Akingbola, Tom Bateman, Dex Lee, Sibusiso Mamba, Nadine Marshall, Sarah Niles, Jason Pennycooke, John Stahl, Steve Toussaint, Leo Wringer
- Suzan-Lori Parks
- Jo Bonney
Royal Court Jerwood Theatre Downstairs
- Sloane Square, London, United Kingdom, SW1W 8AS
- 020 7565 5000
- Official site
- Nearest tube
- Sloane Square (next to theatre)
- Nearest bus
- 11, 19, 22, 137, 319, 360, C1
50% off parking when you park at Q-Park Pimlico (outside Congestion Charge Zone). Set down point outside entrance. On-street parking after 18:30.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens
- How to book
- Tel: 020 7565 5000 Fax: 020 7565 5145 Email: email@example.com
- Access tickets £12 (plus a companion at the same rate).
- Limited mobility
- Row K and M11 and 12 in Stalls have the most leg room.
- Access description
- 3 steps up through main doors from street, or level access through entrance down right-hand side of theatre through easy-open doors. Lift to all levels of both auditoria on the right, inside the alternative entrance. Box Office facing main entrance with accessible counter (75cm high) for wheelchair users. Lift is fitted with a voice commentary. From the foyer there are 20 steps down to Stalls, 18 up to Circle (3 steps between rows), 64 to Jerwood Theatre Upstairs. Stairs have handrails with raised metal studs indicating which floor you are approaching.
- Hearing impaired
- Induction loop in Jerwood Theatre Downstairs. Infra-red system (20 headsets) in both theatres. Collect headsets from Box Office.
- Guide dogs policy
- 4 guide and hearing dogs are welcome. Please inform the theatre in advance to arrange an aisle seat or someone to look after your dog in the Box Office or cloakroom if preferred.
- Jerwood Theatre Downstairs: 3 spaces in the centre of row J and 2 at either end of row K in Stalls. Unless you are seated at J11/12 your companion can sit next to you. 1 space in Circle (row D). K11 and 12 in the stalls are available for transfer seating. Jerwood Theatre Upstairs: 2 spaces for wheelchair users - the position changes depending on the production. Please book wheelchair spaces at least 24 hours in advance. Venue is suitable for scooters, but phone beforehand.
- Level access to men’s and women’s toilets on café level.
- Disabled toilets
- Adapted toilets immediately outside the Jerwood Theatre Upstairs and immediately outside the stalls and circle of the Jerwood Theatre Downstairs.
- Bars at Stalls and Circle level (moveable seats and tables). Access to bar and food area is by a separate platform lift. Drinks in plastic cups can be brought into auditorium. Menu available in large print on request.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens