The Royal Shakespeare Company's gripping royal drama Queen Anne transfers to Theatre Royal Haymarket, transporting audiences to 1702 England, a nation in crisis and on the verge of war.
Having originally opened at the Swan Theatre in Stratford-upon-Avon in November 2015, this gripping new play explores the life of one of England’s little-known sovereigns and her intimate friendship with her childhood confidante Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough.
Princess Anne is soon to become Queen, and her advisors vie for influence over the future monarch. Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough, a close friend with whom Anne has an intensely personal relationship, begins to exert increasing pressure as she pursues her own designs on power.
Contending with deceit and blackmail, Anne must decide where her allegiances lie, and whether to sacrifice her closest relationships for the sake of the country.
Queen Anne is written by Helen Edmundson (The Heresy of Love, RSC) and is directed by Natalie Abrahami (Happy Days, Young Vic). Romola Garai (Amazing Grace, Atonement, Vanity Fair) stars as Sarah, with Emma Cunniffe (The Crucible) cast as the eponymous monarch.
Cast & Creatives
- Romola Garai, Emma Cunniffe, Jonathan Christie, Michael Fenton-Stevens, James Garnon, Richard Hope, Hywel Morgan, Beth Park, Carl Prekopp
- Helen Edmundson
- Natalie Abrahami
- TRH Productions, Scott Landis and Tulchin Bartner Productions present the Royal Shakespeare Company Production
Calendar is for reference only.
Click the Buy Tickets button (top right) or contact the theatre to book.
Haymarket, Theatre Royal
- Haymarket, London, United Kingdom SW1Y 4HT
- 020 7930 8800
- Official site
- Nearest tube
- Piccadilly Circus (150m) Leicester Square (500m)
- Nearest bus
- 3, 6, 9, 12, 13, 14, 15, 19, 22, 23, 24, 29, 38, 40, 88, 91, 94, 139, 159, 176,
50% off parking when you park at Q-Park Trafalgar, only 4 minutes away from the theatre. Meters and 1 disabled parking space in Suffolk Place.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens
- How to book
- Tel: 020 7930 8800
- Discounts available for wheelchair users and their companions.
- Limited mobility
- There is more leg room in boxes A and B (4 steps into each box), or in seats F1, F21, G1 and G18 of the Stalls.
- Access description
- Main entrance up three 15cm steps (staircases have handrails on both sides and are highlighted) through a set of double swing doors. Box Office counter to the right of the entrance. 18 steps down from the foyer to the Stalls, 28 steps up to the Royal Circle, and 60+ steps up to the Upper Circle and Gallery, through a separate entrance to the right of the main entrance. 4 steps in to each box.
- Hearing impaired
- Sennheiser infra-red system with 20 headsets.
- Guide dogs policy
- Guide dogs are not allowed into the auditorium but up to 6 can be looked after in the manager’s office.
- No steps to the auditorium through EXIT doors to the left and righthand side of the main entrance - please tell the Box Office in advance and they will be opened for you. 1 space for a wheelchair user at X18. The venue is suitable for scooters. Transfer seating available to any aisle seat for 1 scooter and 4 wheelchairs. The theatre can store 1 scooter and 4 wheelchairs per performance.
- Women’s and men’s are down 11 steps from the foyer and at Royal Circle and Upper Circle level.
- Disabled toilets
- Adapted toilet at Stalls entrance on street level.
- 1 licensed bar. Drinks in plastic cups can be brought to disabled customers in the auditorium. Stalls bar is 11 steps down from the foyer, Royal Circle bar is 28 steps up from the foyer, and there is another bar at Upper Circle level. No seating.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens