Following a critically lauded UK premiere at Southwark Playhouse, acclaimed comedy shlock-horror rock musical The Toxic Avenger transfers to the Arts Theatre for a strictly limited season.
Based on Lloyd Kaufman’s cult 1984 comedy schlock-horror film of the same name, The Toxic Avenger tells the story of the citizens of Tromaville, who are crying out for a hero... Enter nerdy Melvin Ferd the Third, an aspiring earth scientist, determined to clean up the state’s major toxic waste problem.
But when a corrupt Mayor and her government goons get wind of his plans, they vow to stop this heroic feat. Melvin is attacked and tossed into a vat of toxic waste... transforming him instantly into The Toxic Avenger, New Jersey’s first superhero!
The Toxic Avenger is the brainchild of the Tony Award-winning creative team behind the smash hit West End musical Memphis, Joe DiPietro and David Bryan, an original founding member and keyboardist/vocalist for rock giants, Bon Jovi.
Prepare to laugh, scream and sing to songs including Who Will Save New Jersey?, Get The Geek, Thank God She’s Blind, Hot Toxic Love and Choose Me, Oprah!, as ‘Toxie’ rocks the house and saves the day!
Age Recommendation: 12+.
Cast & Creatives
- Mark Anderson, Natalie Hope, Emma Salvo, Oscar Conlon-Morrey, Ché Francis
- Lloyd Kaufman
- Benji Sperring
- Music by
- David Bryan
- Lyrics by
- Joe DiPietro & David Bryan
- Book by
- Joe DiPietro
- Katy Lipson for Aria Entertainment and Derek Nicol and Paul Walden for Flying Entertainment
- Lucie Pankhurst
- Lighting Designer
- Nic Farman
Calendar is for reference only.
Click the Buy Tickets button (top right) or contact the theatre to book.
- Great Newport Street,London,United Kingdom,WC2H 7JB
- 020 7836 8463
- Official site
- Nearest tube
- Leicester Square (50m)
- Nearest bus
- 24, 29, 176
- Nearest train
- Charing Cross
Westminter City Council car park at China Town. NCP at Upper St Martin's Lane. Very limited metered parking available in surrounding streets- free after 6.30pm.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens
- How to book
- Tel: 020 7836 8463
- Available for wheelchair/scooter users and their companions.
- Limited mobility
- Seats B1 and B16 in the Circle and A1, A14, B1, B16 & 17, C18 and BB1 & 2 in the Stalls offer the best leg room.
- Access description
- Access to main entrance via a slight ramp and through double doors. Box office counter is straight ahead. 19 steps down to the Stalls to the right of the box office and 5 steps up to the Circle to the left of it. Venue carpeted throughout, stairs are highlighted with handrails on either side.
- Hearing impaired
- None at present
- Guide dogs policy
- 2 guide dogs allowed into auditorium. Staff are also happy to dog sit.
- Entrance to the auditorium via double fire EXIT doors to the left of the main entrance. Long, slightly sloped corridor with handrail on one side takes one to the back of the Circle. 1 space for wheelchair/scooter user in the back of the Circle. Transfer seating for either 2 wheelchairs or 1 scooter user to an aisle seat - please ask when booking.
- No steps to men's and women's in the Stalls- the cubicles are very narrow.
- Disabled toilets
- Very large cubicle with some adapted toilet facilities at the back of Circle. Fully adapted toilet planned during refurbishment in 2005.
- Bar located inside the foyer, the counter is to the left (1.2m high) with low moveable seating in the centre. Bar with moveable seating also at Stalls level. Drinks may be brought to disabled customers in the auditorium.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens