This comedy stage adaptation of John Buchan’s 1915 novel The 39 Steps has been keeping audiences amused at the Criterion Theatre since 2006 and won Best Comedy at the Olivier Awards in 2007.
Based on the book and the 1935 Alfred Hitchcock film noir, this stage version of The 39 Steps was devised by Patrick Barlow (aka The National Theatre Of Brent) and started life at West Yorkshire Playhouse before transferring to the Tricycle Theatre and then London’s West End.
The story of The 39 Steps follows Richard Hannay, a bored London gentleman whose life suddenly becomes infinitely more interesting when a woman is murdered in his apartment. Who is she? Why did she take refuge with him? And what are the mysterious 39 Steps? Framed for her murder, Hannay flees London for Scotland on a mission to find out the answers to these and other questions. Along the way he comes across an assortment of unusual and mysterious characters and is reluctantly accompanied by prim Pamela, who inadvertently finds herself handcuffed to Hannay.
This theatrical version of The 39 Steps features all the famous scenes from the hitherto ‘unstageable’ film, including the chase on the Flying Scotsman, Hannay’s escape on the Forth Bridge, a bi-plane crash and the death-defying finale in the London Palladium. With a tongue-in-cheek humour, 1930s costumes and just four cast members playing a reported 139 roles between them, this is a slick, fast-paced, whirlwind of a comedy.
This show is taking part in our annual discount ticket promotion Get Into London Theatre. Book tickets here.
Cast & Creatives
- Richard Galazka, Alix Dunmore, Tim Frances, Daniel Tuite
- Based on the story by John Buchan
- Adapted by
- Patrick Barlow
- Maria Aitken
- Edward Snape for Fiery Angel and the Tricycle Theatre
- Piccadilly Circus, London, United Kingdom, SW1Y 4XA
- 0844 847 1778
- Official site
- Nearest tube
- Piccadilly Circus (opposite)
- Nearest bus
- 3, 6, 9, 12, 13, 14, 15, 19, 22, 23, 38, 88, 94, 139, 159, 453
50% off parking when you park at Q-Park Trafalgar only 8 minutes away.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens
- How to book
- BOOKING LINE FOR ACCESS REQUIREMENTS ONLY: TEL 020 7839 8811 FAX 020 7925 0596 EMAIL email@example.com
- Discounts available for wheelchair users and their companions.
- Limited mobility
- Dress circle boxes and C1, C2, C27, C28 have the most leg room.
- Access description
- Main entrance up a 15cm step from the pavement, through swing doors. All staircases have handrails on both sides and steps are highlighted. From the foyer there are 25 steps down and then 6 up to the Upper Circle; 32 steps down to the Dress Circle (1 step between rows); 51 steps donw to the Stalls.
- Hearing impaired
- Loop system available in all parts of the auditorium.
- Guide dogs policy
- Guide dogs are allowed into the auditorium. Staff are available to dog sit for 2 dogs per performance in the theatre manager’s office.
- Wheelchair/scooter users should inform the Box Office in advance and come to the entrance in Jermyn Street, to the left of the stage door. There is a slight slope with handrails on both sides to the back of the Upper Circle. 2 spaces for wheelchair users next to C20. You cannot see a small part of the stage. Scooter users can access the venue, but have to be transferred. Transfer seating is available for wheelchair users and 1 scooter to aisle seats in Upper and Dress Circles. Each wheelchair user must bring a non-disabled companion.
- Men’s and women’s at Dress Circle and Stalls.
- Disabled toilets
- Adapted toilet on your right on the way to the Upper Circle from the Jermyn Street entrance.
- 2 licensed bars. Drinks can be brought to disabled customers in the auditorium. 2 bars at Dress Circle, and another 3 steps up from the Stalls. Limited seating.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens