Disney's The Lion King is the much loved musical stage adaptation of Disney's hugely successful animated film.
When the young lion prince Simba is born, his evil uncle Scar is pushed back to second in line to the throne. Unimpressed with his future prospects, Scar plots to kill both Simba and his father, the Lion King Mufasa, becoming king in the process. Young Simba survives the heinous plot but is led to believe that his father died because of him. Devastated, he flees the kingdom and soon finds a carefree life. But without a real king, the pride soon falls on hard times and a hero is needed to bring back prosperity.
Released in 1994, The Lion King is one of Disney’s most popular modern movies. At the 1995 Oscars it won the awards for Best Music: Original Score for Hans Zimmer’s score and Best Music: Original Song for Elton John and Tim Rice’s Can You Feel The Love Tonight. Two of the film’s other songs – Circle Of Life and Hakuna Matata – were also nominated. Both score and songs feature in the stage musical adaptation, along with some new material.
The show is directed by Julie Taymor, who also designed the Olivier Award-winning costumes that transform the stage of the Lyceum Theatre into the African plains, occupied by lions, giraffes, birds, zebras, hyenas and even a stampede of wildebeest.
The Lion King won six Tony Awards when it opened on Broadway and was nominated for eight Olivier Awards.
To find out more about The Lion King read our Big Interview with leading man Shaun Escoffery.
Cast & Creatives
- George Asprey, Shaun Escoffery, Brown Lindiwe Mkhize, Howard Gossington, Richard Frame, Keith Bookman, Nicholas Afoa, Ava Brennan, Nadine Higgin, David Blake, Mark McGee
- Adapted by
- Irene Mecchi, Jonathan Roberts & Linda Woolverton
- Julie Taymor
- Lyrics by
- Elton John and Tim Rice
- Book by
- Roger Allers and Irene Mecchi
- Disney Theatrical Productions
Calendar is for reference only.
Click the Buy Tickets button (top right) or contact the theatre to book.
- Wellington Street, London, United Kingdom WC2E 7RQ
- 0844 871 3000 (Calls cost 7p per min plus your telephone company's network access charge)
- Nearest tube
- Covent Garden (300m) Charing Cross (550m)
- Nearest bus
- 6, 9, 11, 13, 15, 23, 77A, 91, 139, 176
- Nearest train
- Charing Cross (250m)
50% off parking when you park at Q-Park Oxford Street or Q-Park Soho. 2 blue badge parking bays in Ramillies Place, 2 on Great Marlborough Street (08:30-18:30, 4 hours max).
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens
- How to book
- Tel: 020 7420 8113
- Concessions are available for registered disabled theatre goers and their companions
- Limited mobility
- Row R 1-13 and 32-44 and Row C in the Stalls have the most leg room.
- Access description
- A low level doorbell is provide at the booking office for patron's with access needs. There is a level access door next to The Wellington Pub, please contact a member of staff if you wich to come through this doow as it it not manned. All other entrances to the theatre have some steps. The entrance to the Grand Circle has 82 steps and is not reccomended for those with limited mobility. A lift is available for patrons sitting in the low numbered seating in the Royal or Grand Circles. Please contact a member of staff if you wish to make use of this facility. The theatre will open no more than 45 minutes before the performance starts. All patrons must be seated 5 minutes before the performance starts.
- Hearing impaired
- Infra-red loop system for the hard of hearing. Induction loop at Box Office. Please inform the Box Office at the time of booking as it may influence your seating allocation.
- Guide dogs policy
- Guide dogs are allowed into the auditorium by prior arrangement with Box Office at time of booking. Alternatively, staff can dog-sit a maximum of 2 dogs.
- Entrance is through a signposted double EXIT door to left-hand side as you face the theatre. To use this entrance, please ask a member of staff. Slight slope down to the back of the Stalls - handrails either side and rest area by adapted toilets (1 way down corridor) - where there are 8 spaces for wheelchair users in row P. Wheelchair users must bring a non-disabled companion. Scooter/wheelchair transfer spaces to aisle seats in the stalls (by arrangement with Box Office). Transfer seating available to any aisle seat in the Stalls for people who can walk a little (by prior arrangement with Box Office). Slight slope from Stalls to Stalls bar.
- Toilets on each level. Women’s up 1 step at side of Stalls or 10 steps down from the Stalls bar. Men’s off Stalls bar.
- Disabled toilets
- 2 adapted toilets (men’s and women’s) by the entrance to the Stalls.
- Licensed bars. Drinks can be brought to disabled customers in auditorium. Further bars at Royal and Grand Circle levels - no seats. Merchandise kiosk in Stalls and upper foyer.
- This venue accepts Theatre Tokens